I own a house built in 1870. I had foundation problems concerning water channeling in from outside. Over the years it had become a chronic situation. I found ARW on Angie’s List. The company had very good reviews.I want to add this review for the excellent job they did for me. ARW fixed my basement within the time schedule they gave me. The cost was extremely reasonable. The work ethic was fantastic. In the time between the completion of the project and this review we have had two heavy storms come through and the basement remained completely dry.I highly recommend this company and will gladly use them in the future if the need arises.
I arranged an inspection. Martin Mainzer met me at the house at the time I arranged.After inspecting the situation with me, he took measurements and photos and sent them to the owner, Mike Bird. Mike insisted on arranging a time the next day to come and see the basement himself. He felt my situation was not the norm. We discussed the options.Regular pier support would not work well because the foundation is made of limestone boulders and rocks. The upward pressure of the piers could cause problems with the limestone. Traditional underpinning was called for. Mike explained the process and I found out not many companies do not like to or won’t take on this kind of job. Mike gave me an estimate and a time schedule.
The crew that came out to do the job was run by Jay Sawers. Mike came by with Jay on the first day and introduced the crew. We all went over the project and what to expect. Jay and Brandon began the task. I was impressed with several things about the crew. They kept me notified of ant change or delay in the process. An attribute that is hard to find with contractors these days.
The foundation would be supported using traditional pier support. That consisted of regularly spaced holes dug down without machinery at a 45 degree angle. Rebar was inserted into the concrete that filled the holes and then a retaining wall was built with the rods embedded in the walls. One continuous wall went down the front west side and the front wall in the trouble corner. In addition they dug down outside the wall and put in a French drain. A French drain was also put down the opposite side of the house were running water was starting to cause similar problems. The downspouts on both sides of the house were run under ground past the foundation and into drain boxes set on the edge of the lawn about 20ft from the house.
The amount of concrete needed for the project exceeded the original estimate but I was not charged extra. The original plan called for the dirt being excavated from the basement to be used to grade the flower beds on the side of the house. My wife asked them not to because the lack of soil nutrients would damage her gardens. The put the dirt in an area my wife wanted it and agreed to use topsoil in the gardens. This is an item not covered in the original estimate and I was fine with paying the extra cost. I was not charged.
They used a small cement mixer outside the basement and used buckets to bring down the concrete. Consequently, there was cement on the ground around that area. They cleared all of the concrete and put top soil down there as well.
Thanks to everybody at ARW Martin, Mike, and Jay. and Brandon.